It’s time to prepare your house for winter. Carrying out preventive home maintenance steps now can help keep you and your family safe, lower utility bills and increase your overall comfort through the colder months.
Exterior Home Winter Preparation Tips
- Check eavestroughs and repair any loose sections. You’ll also want to clear out any debris that has accumulated from falling leaves.
- It can be expensive to heat your home, so inspect and repair all exterior caulking to help prevent warm air from escaping.
- Similarly, examine the weather stripping around doors and windows and make sure they’re still intact. Replace any cracked pieces.
- Inspect your roof and check for any loose shingles. Have the roof properly repaired before snow and ice accumulate.
Interior Home Winter Preparation Tips
- If you haven’t turned on your furnace yet, test the system to ensure it’s working properly. You’ll also want to consider scheduling maintenance from a reputable heating and cooling company.
- Check carbon monoxide detectors and batteries and replace them as needed. Most carbon monoxide detectors have a lifespan between five and seven years.
- Check and replace smoke alarms and batteries. Smoke alarms should be replaced every ten years.
- To prevent frozen pipes from bursting, protect them with insulation in unheated areas around the house.
By taking the time to prepare your house for winter now, you can enjoy a warm, safe and comfortable home when the temperature drops.
Want more home maintenance tips? Care For My Home 360 offers personalized, seasonal tips with all our home protection plans. Our Total Home Protection Plan also includes up to $20,000 a year in repairs for home appliances (kitchen refrigerator and freezer, range, oven and cooktop, washer, dryer and dishwasher) and home comfort systems (central heating and air conditioning, emergency plumbing, electrical water heater). Our affordable plans start at only $29.99 a month and you can earn up to 3,500 Hudson’s Bay Rewards points.1
Hudson’s Bay Financial Services is proud to team up with Sigma Loyalty Group, the provider of Care For My Home 360. For more than 40 years, Care For My Home 360 and other Sigma Loyalty Group programs have provided benefits to millions of Canadians to help save valuable time and money when dealing with home and personal emergencies.
1 Hudson’s Bay Rewards points offers may change without notice. All Rewards points will be awarded within four to six weeks.
This page is also available in: FR