Tips to Keep Your Dog Safe This Winter
Winter can be a fun time for your pup, especially if they love the snow. To keep your dog safe in the cold weather, take these seasonal precautions.
- Always clean your dog’s paws after being outside. Salt and other products used to melt snow and ice can cause irritation and be toxic if ingested. If your dog is prone to chapped paws, you might also consider applying petroleum jelly (or another paw protectant) before leaving the house.
- Be mindful of how much fur you’re removing during grooming visits. Longer coats can provide much-needed warmth during the colder months.
- Ensure that your dog has a warm place indoors to relax and sleep, ideally off the floor and away from any drafts.
- The air inside your home can be extremely dry in the winter. Using a humidifier can help prevent painful skin and paw chapping.
- Dogs can become dehydrated in the winter. Always have fresh, clean water available, especially after your pet has been playing outside.
- Ensure that your pet health insurance is up to date. Even if you take every precaution, accidents still happen — and pet insurance helps cover the costs associated with injury and illness.
Hudson’s Bay Financial Services is happy to offer coverage through Petline Insurance to help keep your dog safe. You can be reimbursed for up to 80% of the cost of veterinary services such as X-rays, hospitalization, surgery, dental care and any prescriptions required for accidents or illness. Plans also include coverage for medical devices and therapies such as physiotherapy, massage therapy and acupuncture. Plus, when you sign up, you’re eligible to receive up to 4,000 Hudson’s Bay Rewards points annually.1
Help keep your dog safe this winter with a pet insurance plan through Hudson’s Bay Financial Services.
Pet insurance for Hudson’s Bay customers is arranged for by Hudson’s Bay Financial Services and underwritten by Petline Insurance Company, Canada’s largest pet insurance company.
1 Earn 2,000 Hudson’s Bay Rewards points when you purchase Basic Care, 3,000 Rewards points for Enhanced Care and 4,000 Rewards points for Enhanced Care Plus. Points will be issued in equal increments after every six months when you use a valid Canadian-issued credit card to pay for your premiums and will not be pro-rated. Offer valid in Alberta, British Columbia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario and Quebec.