Road Trip Planning for the Long Weekend
The upcoming long weekend is a perfect time to pack a bag, get in your car and go on an adventure. Whether you’re crossing the country or visiting a neighbouring province, proper road trip planning can help ensure that you spend your long weekend enjoying the scenery, not worrying about things you forgot or if your vehicle can handle the trip.
Road Trip Planning 101
- Map out a less-travelled route. Less traffic leads to less opportunity for accidents. You’ll also be more likely to spot an amazing restaurant or quirky store to explore.
- Ensure you have a backup plan. Don’t drive when you’re tired just to make it to your destination; stop and rest for the night. It’s always best to be flexible when road tripping.
- Inspect your vehicle before leaving. Things like lights, signal indicators and wipers are usually overlooked. Remember, it’s always a good idea to carry extra windshield wiper fluid and an emergency car kit.
- Pack light! People tend to overpack when road tripping because they think they have extra room. However, it can be dangerous to overpack your vehicle, and extra weight can increase fuel consumption.
- Pack your patience and enjoy the journey. You’re likely to run into some traffic during a long weekend. It’s best to be prepared for it and find enjoyment in the journey rather than become frustrated and drive angry.
- Make sure you travel with your licence, registration and proof of insurance. Also, make sure that your auto insurance matches your needs. Even with the best road trip planning, accidents can happen, and you’ll want to ensure that you’re properly covered.
Hudson’ s Bay Insurance helps you find the best coverage at the lowest rate that fits your needs by shopping up to eight of the leading insurance companies in Canada.
Stay covered with Hudson’ s Bay Insurance.
This page is also available in: FR