Now that the nice weather has arrived, it’s important to remind everyone to share the roads. There are a number of accidents and deaths that occur every year that could have been prevented by taking precautionary steps.
The CAA has put together some startling statistics:
- Approximately 7,500 cyclists are injured every year
- Most bicycle injuries and crashes occur during the afternoon rush hour
- One out of three cyclist deaths occur at night or where there’s artificial lighting
- More cyclists are killed or injured in the month of July than any other month of the year
- 64% of cyclist deaths from traffic crashes occur on city roads (those with a speed limit up to 70 km/h)1
To keep cyclists safe, both drivers and cyclists need to take some precautions when on the road.
Tips for Motorists
- Always look out for cyclists when driving
- When turning, watch for cyclists coming towards you or behind you
- Give cyclists room when passing them and extra space when it’s windy or wet
- When parking on the street, check for passing cyclists before opening your door.
Tips for Cyclists
- Always wear a helmet and other safety accessories
- Ensure your bike is properly fitted and in good working order
- Make sure to have a bell, light, and wear reflective clothing
- Use bike signals and follow all laws
As we head into the summer months, it’s important to ensure we all do our part to keep cyclists safe. It’s also crucial to ensure that you’re protecting the ones you love should something happen.
Hudson’s Bay Financial Services is proud to offer affordable Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance through Chubb Life.2 If you’re between 18 and 69, your acceptance is guaranteed and there are no medical questions or exam required for enrolment.
In addition to easy enrolment, affordable group rates and a 30-day satisfaction guarantee, you can earn 1,000 Hudson’s Bay Rewards points when you obtain a one-time, no-obligation quote, 2,000 Rewards points upon enrolment and 4,000 Rewards points annually when you renew your coverage.3
Please cycle and drive safe this summer and make sure you’re properly insured.
1 CAA. “Bicycle Statistics” Retrieved May 11, 2020, from https://www.caa.ca/bike/
2 Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance is arranged for by Hudson’s Bay Financial Services and underwritten by Chubb Life Insurance Company of Canada (“Chubb Life”). Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance is currently not available in Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Yukon, Quebec and Nova Scotia. Complete details of coverage, including definitions of covered accidents and any limitations or exclusions that apply, are set out in the Policy.
3 Earn 1,000 Hudson’s Bay Rewards points when you obtain a one-time, no-obligation Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance quote; 2,000 Rewards points upon approval; and 4,000 Rewards points annually when you use a valid Canadian credit card to pay your premiums.
Each Hudson’s Bay Rewards points offer is limited to one Hudson’s Bay Rewards account per household.
Hudson’s Bay Rewards points will be issued within four to six weeks.
This offer cannot be combined with other offers and may change without notice.