Canadians are big on renovating their homes. While renovations add value to our homes, unfortunately, they are also a common source of injury. An injury-causing accident at home can lead to time off work, reduced income and unexpected recovery costs.
After sports, household tasks are responsible for the most injuries to Canadians every year. The most common injuries are strains, sprains and broken or fractured bones.1 The following safety tips can help keep you out of harm’s way:
- Never take on a project above your skill-set. Injuries can occur from inexperience and lack of knowledge. If you’re ever unsure about how to proceed on a project, it might be best to hire a professional.
- Always use the appropriate safety gear, such as glasses, hearing protection, gloves and safety boots.
- Keep the construction area secure and blocked off to help keep family members and neighbours safe.
- When using a ladder, don’t lean out to either side. Keep your body weight squarely between the sides of the ladder.
- Know how to properly use tools, and always ensure they’re in good working order.
- Be sure to completely read the instruction manual for your power tools and follow the manufacturer’s safety cautions.
Missing work because of an injury can cause a serious financial strain. Life, Disability and Income Insurance can help provide some financial stability from a home renovation injury by providing up to $1,000 a month for household expenses, prescriptions or additional medical services. You’ll also be eligible to earn up to 8,000 Hudson’s Bay Rewards points upon enrolment and on your enrolment anniversary.2
Learn more about this exclusive Hudson’s Bay Financial Services product and
get guaranteed coverage in under three minutes.
Founded in 1955, Canadian Premier Life Insurance Company continues to operate as a Canadian company under the Securian Financial Group. For more than six decades, Canadian Premier has been committed to providing financial security for Canadians who are facing uncertainties. They now insure more than 1 million Canadians from coast to coast.
1 Statistics Canada. “Injuries in Canada: Insights from the Canadian Community Health Survey.” Retrieved June 15, 2018, from: https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/82-624-x/2011001/article/11506-eng.htm.
2 Earn up to 8,000 Hudson’s Bay Rewards points when you purchase Life, Disability and Income Insurance and use a valid Canadian credit card to pay your monthly premiums.
Each Hudson’s Bay Rewards points offer is limited to one Hudson’s Bay Rewards account per household. Rewards points will be issued within 30 days from issue of insurance.
This offer cannot be combined with other offers and may change without notice. Life, Disability and Income Insurance for Hudson’s Bay customers is arranged by Canadian Premier Life Insurance Company.