- On May 17, 2017
- 0 Comments
The first long weekend of the summer is almost here, and many people will be heading out on a road trip to cottage country or a neighbouring city. Remember to plan ahead, stay safe on the road and enjoy the time with friends and family. Consider these tips to get off to a good start:
- Accept that there will be lots of traffic. Leave early or later in the day to avoid the worst of it, and plan on the trip taking longer than usual.
- Be patient. Maintain a safe distance between you and the vehicle ahead of you so sudden stops or slowdowns don’t catch you off guard.
- Steer clear of aggressive drivers. While it may be tempting to “box in” a driver who is weaving in and out of traffic and tailgating, it can be dangerous. Allow them to pass, and if their driving is truly hazardous, have a passenger call the police to report them.
- Don’t drive when you’re tired. The impact on your reflexes and judgment can be as deadly as driving while impaired. Plan rest stops or take turns behind the wheel to ensure that the driver is always alert.
- If you’re travelling with young children, pack snacks and entertainment and plan to make frequent stops. Bored, restless or hungry kids can be a huge distraction, so be prepared.
- Buckle up, and follow all road and safety rules. Don’t risk ruining your long weekend getaway with traffic tickets or, worse, an accident.
- Make sure your insurance is up to date. Putting your summer car on the road for the first time this year? Taking your boat out of winter storage? Travelling out of province or crossing the border? Contact your insurance provider in advance to ensure that your auto, boat and travel medical insurance needs are covered.
Hudson’s Bay Financial Services is proud to partner with Optima Insurance Group, one of Canada’s leading home and auto insurance brokers. Optima Insurance helps you find the best coverage at the lowest rate that fits your needs by shopping up to eight of the leading insurance companies in Canada.
Click here to learn more and stay covered with Optima Insurance Group on your road trip.
Take care, and have a great long weekend!